Hiccups ( sometimes called Hiccoughs ) are very common and almost affects every one ..
simply , the reason we experience Hiccups is an irritation in a dome-shaped muscle which separates the chest from the abdomen known as the diaphragm .
diaphragm irritation causes involuntary spasms leading to quick intake of breath that is suddenly stopped by the closure of the vocal cords (glottis) ,
This closure causes the characteristic “hiccup” sound .
Men are more likely to have hiccups than women
Signs & Symptoms of Hiccups :
– The characteristic sound of a hiccup, That’s No. 1 for sure 😀 , The rate of having hiccups usually ranges between 4 – 60 Hiccups per minute .
– a slight discomfort in the chest , abdomen or throat .
– usually for a few minutes to a few hours.
seeing a doctor is important if Hiccups last longer than 48 hours as it could be related to other serious conditions .
I- in case of Adults , teenagers & children :
– swallowing too much air Quickly , either by eating or drinking too fast
– Emotional stress , excitement or being in a Nervous state where the breathing rate is faster than normal
– A sudden change in stomach temperature by ingesting Hot and Cold foods or drinks
– Excessive consumption of alcohol
Treatment of Hiccups :
The goal is to get the body distracted from focusing on the diaphragm and calm down again , this can be achieved by :
– Taking a deep breath and holding it in for about 10 seconds , then slowly letting it out
– Eating a tea spoonful of sugar or Honey
– Drinking continuously a glass of water
– Breathing into a paper bag for a minute .
in most cases , Hiccups usually go away on their own within a few minutes or a few hours and do not require any treatments .
Chlorpromazine is the only medication approved for hiccups by the US Food and Drug Administration.
II- in case of Newborns :
” Babies or newborns can hiccup too 🙂 ”
– swallowing air while feeding them too fast .
– sudden drop in temperature of the body.
Most often, hiccups disappear within a couple of minutes. So, it is better for the parents to wait for a few minutes before trying to cure hiccups in their newborn baby.
– hold the baby upright and Gently pat on the back of the baby in order to help him or her to burp , . . burping will help to cure the hiccup if it’s caused due to swallowing of air by releasing the pressure on the stomach.
Hint : Babies should not be fed while they are having hiccups.
>> if the baby burps and have hiccups alot , check the nipple of the milk bottle in order to prevent the swallowing of air while feeding :
fill the bottle with milk and then turn it upside down , If the milk comes out in continuous drops then the nipple size is right. , But if it comes out in a stream or does not drip at all then nipple of the bottle should be changed .
Interesting Fact :
Even a fetus inside his mother’s uterus can have hiccups! … this is termed as fetal hiccups and occurs after 8 weeks of pregnancy ( after the development of the fetal nervous system )
According to health experts, it is normal for fetuses to hiccup and these movements prepare the babies lungs for breathing after birth .
– BBC Health official website
– Myoclinic official website